Every child deserves a safe, loving and permanent family. That is the simple, yet profound motivation behind National Adoption Month. Celebrated across North America each November, this special month of awareness building helps to increase the number of families considering adoption and celebrates the joys of creating families through foster care adoption.
The Keans are one of those families. Placed in foster care at age 15, Maci had all but given up hope of having a loving family. But with support from the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and Wendy’s Wonderful Kids adoption recruiter, Stephanie, the Keans adopted Maci just 51 days before her 18th birthday. Maci’s adoptive parents, Chris and Gigi, beam with pride when they describe their phenomenal daughter. Maci says, “I didn’t think that I would have a family again. I didn’t think I would go to college. I didn’t think I would have love, and with that, my world is just so much brighter.”
Explore 5 ways you can support the Foundation’s commitment to find forever families for children in foster care:
- Access Resources: The Foundation offers a library of free adoption resources, including our Finding Forever Families: A Step-by-Step Guide to Adoption and Strengthening Your Forever Family: A Step-by-Step Guide to Post-Adoption. Share these resources to help families navigate the adoption journey.
- Share Your Story: What does the gift of family mean to you? If you adopted or were adopted from foster care, let us know how that experience has touched your life.
- Donate: Give the gift of family to help the Foundation continue its commitment to finding forever families for children in foster care.
- Fundraise: Create a fundraiser through Crowdrise benefiting the Foundation. Then, invite family and friends to give the gift of family in celebration of your birthday, in memory of a loved one or in recognition of another special occasion.
- Attend an Event: Celebrate and support adoptive families in your community by attending a National Adoption Day event.
We are humbled by the growing number of organizations and individuals who share Dave Thomas’ belief that, “These children are not someone else’s responsibility. They are our responsibility.” During National Adoption Month and all year round, thank you for sharing this great responsibility with us.
Join our mailing list in the United States or Canada to receive foster care adoption news, resources and stories of impact.