Wendy's Wonderful Kids®
Through our signature program, Wendy’s Wonderful Kids, the Foundation supports the hiring of adoption professionals, known as recruiters, who are dedicated to finding permanent families for children in foster care who are most often overlooked. That includes teenagers, children with special needs and siblings.
Wendy’s Wonderful Kids recruiters use an evidence-based, child-focused recruitment model to find the right family for every child. A rigorous, five-year evaluation in the United States revealed that youth referred to the program are up to 3x more likely to be adopted.
Child-Focused Recruitment Model
Wendy’s Wonderful Kids recruiters work with smaller caseloads of 12-15 children to ensure that each child receives the time, resources and support they deserve. They begin their search within a child’s familiar circles of family, friends and neighbors and then reach out to the communities in which they live. Of youth served by the program:
- 76% are older than age 8
- 10% have had six or more placements
- 31% have been in foster care more than four years
- 80+% had minimal or no adoption recruitment efforts on their behalf before being referred to Wendy’s Wonderful Kids
Explore research showing the impact of Wendy’s Wonderful Kids and the Foundation’s evidence-based, child-focused recruitment model.
- In 2006, the Foundation expanded the Wendy’s Wonderful Kids program in Canada with the first grant issued in Ontario. We had a singular goal — to focus on permanency for those children and youth most at risk of aging out of the foster care system.
- In 2016, the Foundation and the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services officially launched a commitment to scale Wendy’s Wonderful Kids in Ontario in coordination with the Children’s Aid Societies.
- Currently, more than 20 Wendy’s Wonderful Kids recruiters are working in seven provinces to find forever families for children waiting in foster care.
To date, Wendy’s Wonderful Kids recruiters have found adoptive homes for more than 450 children across Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Saskatchewan.
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption-Canada relies on the generosity of donors to continue expanding the Wendy’s Wonderful Kids program to ensure there are enough recruiters to serve youth in our focus population.